Andrew D. Lee
Associate Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew
Director of Work Study

 

About
My interest in the Old Testament began as a young child under the influence of my father, who in both his public role as pastor and his personal family life encouraged those around him to read and study all of God’s Word, including the Old Testament. Assuming, as most of us do, that my childhood experience was normal, I was surprised as I grew up to realize that many churches and Christians rarely read, study, or apply the teachings of the Old Testament to their daily lives. Such an approach to Scripture both marginalizes over 75% of God’s Word found in the Old Testament and seriously inhibits one’s ability to properly interpret the remaining 25% found in the New Testament. Following the pattern of Ezra (Ezra 7:10), my goal as a teacher of Old Testament and Hebrew is to continually study the instructions of the Lord, to put those instructions into practice in my own life, and to teach others to do the same. My academic interests therefore cover a broad spectrum of OT studies including Hebrew grammar & exegesis, textual criticism, biblical theology, hermeneutical approaches to the Old Testament, and Ancient Near Eastern history; all of which serve to bring the world of the Old Testament to bear on the world of the modern reader.

When I am not studying or teaching, I enjoy spending time with my wife and three children, reading, playing games, and watching baseball.

Education
Bachelor of Science in Religion from Liberty University, 2009
Master of Arts in Old Testament from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2014